Sunday, January 25, 2009

August 18, 2008

Okay, so most of you know Phil is in Japan which means I’ve got the entire zoo to deal with on my own until next Monday. Lots of fun! But every once in a while the little girl brings a little extra entertainment. Over the past few days, Riley has been doing some things that have just sent a smile to my face. As you know she’s on a Little Mermaid kick so we watch it every night. Well I tried to change things up a bit the other day and showed her Aladdin (one of my favorites, plus I get to do Heather’s old gymnastics routine in my head along with endless singing!). This was Friday before Phil left and Riley seemed a bit scared by the “cave of wonders” Lion that growled a lot. I told Phil, not thinking that Riley picks up on everything we say now, that I thought the movie might scare her. Well on Sunday when I showed it to her again, she told me flat out “It scares me Mommy”. I nearly fell over. She kept watching and got through most of it just fine. Today, I was telling Phil this story on the phone and asked Riley what she thought of Aladdin. She said without hesitation, “Scares me.” Guess I will wait a bit longer to show it again.

Another fun moment this weekend is our cooking adventure. Julia got me and Riley matching aprons from Williams Sonoma (where she works!). I put our aprons and we got to cooking some chocolate pudding (truth be told – instant 10 minute pudding!). Riley got to stir with the whisk and thought that was the neatest thing on earth. Phil has my camera so no pics this time. Can’t wait to cook again!

Finally, Friday was an interesting day all around. In order to get her to leave school, I had to allow her to bring the Dora reading book she just was determined to not leave behind. Like I said, it was Friday, so she got her way. I “borrowed” the book and we were on our way. She did not put that darn book down the entire week. She would read it to her babies, take it to the potty, everything. Well tonight she insisted on the book for bedtime. After about 10 minutes of her “reading” on her own since I couldn’t read it for her, I’d decided I had enough and it was time for bed. So down she went, fairly easily to my amazement. But wouldn’t you know, she said “Dora” over and over again and started crying. I finally caved and decided some battles just aren’t worth fighting. I gave her Dora and she put that book down next to her and held it along with Momma Bear, Pink, and Ollie (all her fav loveys). I guess I should be happy that she’s taking books to bed. I just hope she doesn’t try to read them at night without the light or else she’ll end up with bad eyesight – right Mom (well that’s what you told me)?

So just a quick note on the adventures of Riley. Maybe one day I’ll start a blog like Heather and post all my random stories there. Just add it to my list!

No comments:

Post a Comment