Monday, April 13, 2009

Well you may not know this, but I’m not that creative or crafty. I know, please contain your surprise. I preparation for our Easter dinner, I need some eggs decorated. I also need cookies to give to your teachers to go in their gift bags. I bought an egg decorating kit at William-Sonoma (on recommendation by Julia Vandergrift) and hoped to make some gorgeous eggs to serve as the name cards for my seating arrangements. I had already created my miniature baskets and was amazed at what a glue gun can create.

I had Rosie and Danica join us for the decorating adventures thinking it would be a great craft experience, plus the men were out golfing. They were coming over after Little Gym, so I boiled the eggs and made the cookie dough (shortbread recipe from the cookie cutter box) that morning. Admittedly, I was feeling good that morning – I got the kitchen cleaned, the eggs boiled, and the dough made all before we headed out the door for LG. By the time we got back, all was ready. I pulled out the cookie dough but my hopes were immediately thwarted. It was glob of goo that stuck to my fingers. With Danica on one side and you on the other, we were determined to get it right. So out came the olive oil and flour. By the end, you had a mound of flour out, Danica was putting flour in your hair, and the cookies were hard enough to break a tooth. Okay, let’s not get discouraged.

Lets move on to the eggs. After seeing the mess from the cookies, I quickly decided to only use the egg dye and not the rest of the kit ideas. Having never colored eggs before, I realized it may not be prudent to have higher ambitions on the first go. You girls had a great time, but did not fully grasp the whole concept and with both fighting for the same step ladder, we needed to get it done quickly. They turned out great, though. We gave you letter stickers after they were dyed and you all went to town. So all in all, they turned out well – with a few minor tweaks. I ended up going to the store to get pre-made cookie dough and after only 12 cookies decided I hate decorating them. The eggs went into the spare fridge, where they promptly froze and cracked. Oh well, you only improve by making mistakes and learning from them, right!?! Can’t wait until the next holiday!

1 comment:

  1. Riley, I think your mama is selling herself short on the creative/crafty scale! Looks gorgeous, K.

    ReplyDelete